Re: SuSE 6.1 and Audio CDs

> Sean Chisek wrote:
>
> Hello.  I'm running SuSE 6.1 with a Toshiba 8X CDROM and a Soundblaster
> 16 sound card.  I'm having a bit of trouble playing audio CDs.  It looks
> as though the sound card module is loading fine at boot up.  I'm able to
> get .wav and .au sound files to play fine.  But, I have about a 50-50
> chance of being able to hear an audio CD.  Sometimes it works okay,
> sometimes I don't hear anything.
>
> I've been running KDE.  I've been trying to run Xmcd and the KDE cd
> player.  RIght now, the current permissions I have on /dev/hdc are
> br_xr_xr_x and the permissions I have on /dev/cdrom are lrwxrwxrwx.
>
> Any help would be appreciated as I'm not at all sure what is the matter.

I had a problem like hat for a long time, until I found out that the
connector on the back of my cd-drive was kinda loose and didn't make a good
connection.  If you can consistently play sounds from other sources but not
from the CD drive, I'd blame hardware.  Next time a cd dodesn't play, try
playing a wave or mp3 or whatever.  If the waveform plays, your cd-rom is
prolly just not connected solidly...

--Danny