Re: Kernel compilation

Travis Davies wrote:

> OK, Im running RH Linux 5.2. im trying to upgrade to Kernel 2.2.10. I
> have rename the /usr/src/linux file with mv to another name. I unpacked
> the new source code
> and then went through make config. Then, make dep | make clean | and
> then compiled it with make zImage.
> It then put the new compressed kernel in arch/I386/boot directory.
>
> now heres the question. In order to boot the new kernel I need to boot
> it with lilo. How exactly is this done? last time, I rebooted my system
> and it wouldn't boot. What did I not do?

One thing the other guys didn't mention that I'm not sure is a typo or not,
you say you moved the compressed kernel _to_ the arch/i386/boot directory?
That's where the compiled kernel ends up, and you wanna move it somewhere
else.  For completeness sake, do something like this:

mv /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.10

and add lines like these (fixing the root device for your system) to
/etc/lilo.conf:

	image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.1
	root = /dev/hda1
	label = 2.2.10

When lilo comes up, type 2.2.10 to see if the new kernel boots.  If it
does, then to make the new kernel your default kernel, make those 3 lines
you added to lilo.conf the first set of 3 lines like that - before any
other image stanzas.

Having repeated the other 2 messages adequately, I'll be quiet now.

Danny, who forgot to actually send this message yesterday...