Re: GRASS setup question

Hi,
  My memory of GRASS is pretty rusty, but I'll give a little try. I've
also been meaning to reinstall GRASS, so maybe I can look at the problem
later.

> I installed GRASS to /usr/local/grass42 and downloaded and installed the
>
> tcltkgrass files they have.  I'm trying to follow the tcltkgrass
> installation instructions from the GRASS website about compiling the
> tcltk part from the GRASS shell.  But, the problem I'm having is when I
> start GRASS from the command line, I'm at some menu asking me for a
> location, mapset and database.

I seem to remember that there are a couple of environmental variables to
be set-lets see, my .cshrc file on my Suns has:

setenv GIS /projects/grass
setenv GISBASE $GIS

and I seem to remember that the projects were below that. The distribution
used to have some demo data along with it. I think it was some forestry
data in the vicinity of Spearfish wyoming or dakota. Are you sure that
there isn't just a default?

> How do I get to a regular command shell so I can compile the tcltkgrass
> part?  Also, in the screen where it asks for the location of the
> database files, where did these get installed to?

I thought that they were below the $GIS location, by default. Try a locate
for spearfish, or grass | grep demo or grass | grep data.

Erich