Re: hosts.allow

charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:

> I thought the pop3 had to start from within inetd to allow for multiple
> simultaneous sessions? Or am I drinking too much coffee again?

Generally yes.  I suppose there could be some pop3 daemon somewhere
that's able to fork itself and run without inetd.  I just don't know of
any.

> On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Jay Link wrote:
>

> > Charles & everyone,
> >
> > hosts.allow & .deny only pertain to those programs working in conjunction
> > with tcpd, right? Therefore, to allow mail access to everyone, just pull
> > in.pop3d out of inetd.conf, right? Then, deny everything else with
> > hosts.deny .

Yes, hosts.{allow,deny} are only used by tcpd.  But I'd still recommend
passing it through tcpd in inetd.  You can have the things logged, to be
able to measure how busy everything is, if someone is trying to crack
passwords making dozens of connections.  Then if you are very busy with
POP people you can separate it out.  Going through two daemons to get to
the pop daemon would certainly slow things down if you have several
hundred people doing it at once. :)

> > Remove something like this:
> >
> > pop3  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.pop3d

Another note, that last argument is what you'd put in these two files as
the first parameter, without the path.