Re: Lost Drive?

cloudmaster said:
> Today I installed a new motherboard/proc(s) combo, and now I don't seem to
> have a superblock on one of my drives, thus it's not happily mountable.
> Fsck also isn't real happy with that little problem.  I've yet to figure
> out what happened to it.  I guess the heat of 3 drives real close must've
> done soemthing, as it worked initialy, and when I unplug it I no longer get
> DMA errors on the other drives...
>
> Anyway, there oughtta be backup superblocks all over that disk, does anyone
> know how in th eheck I figure out where?  Should I just start running
> "fsck -b $BLOCK /dev/hdd1" with an ever increasing value in $BLOCK, or is
> there a less obtuse way that's not so hideous? :)

From the e2fsck(8) man page:

       -b superblock
              Instead  of  using  the  normal  superblock, use an
              alternative  superblock  specified  by  superblock.
              This  option  is  normally  used  when  the primary
              superblock has  been  corrupted;  most  filesystems
              have  primary  superblocks  located at blocks 8193,
              16385, etc.  If an alternative superblock is speci-
              fied  and  the  filesystem is not opened read-only,
              e2fsck will make sure that the  primary  superblock
              is  updated  appropriately  upon  completion of the
              filesystem check.

In other words, increment at 8192-byte intervals.

> Speaking of hard drives, does anyone know if there's support for any ATA/66
> controllers that aren't Promise's controller?  Specifically, an "HPT366
> Ultra ATA/66" controller (that comes on BP6 boards)?  I'd be happy with
> ATA/33 speed, or even less for a while...

From the 2.3.13 Configure.help:

HPT366 chipset support
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366
  This is an Ultra DMA chipset for ATA-66.
  This driver adds up to 4 more EIDE devices sharing a single
  interrupt. The HPT366 chipset in its current form is a non-bootable.
  This driver requires dynamic tuning of the chipset during the ide-probe
  at boot. It is reported to support DVD II drives, by the manufacturer.

  Please read the comments at the top of drivers/block/hpt366.c

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month