Re: HHKB

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 10:50:48AM -0500, mike packard wrote:

> Jeff, do you like your HHKB and is it really worth $140?  Or even $70 (for
> the more basic version)?

I do like it (I'm typing this message on it).  Was it worth what I
paid for it?  That's a different question entirely.

It has several advantages over a standard keyboard.  First, it's small
enough to carry with a laptop if you want.  The layout is also
optimized for "computer professionals"; I find that I'm more
comfortable with it than a standard keyboard, even given that some
keys require a "Fn" special shift key (like the function keys, arrows,
etc.).  Finally, it's well made, which is always good.

Is it worth $70?  I don't know.  There are tradeoffs; it's not a
"magic bullet".  I like mine, but you might not.  "Hackers" supposedly
like it, but some don't seem to.  Steve didn't seem too keen on it,
but Richard Stallman is a big fan.  Who knows?

Come on out to the demo.  We'll hook it up to something (even if I
don't bring my monster), and you can play with it and see what you
think.  If you like it, it's probably worth the $70.