Re: Linux Demo Day UPDATE

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 10:18:12AM -0500, Kara Pritchard wrote:

> > > If we focus that you
> > > don't have to buy a new PC from best buy, just buy Linux, then we won't
> > > get as much cooperation from Best Buy next time.
> >
> > Hmm...  I think I'll stay out of this one.
> >
> I know.. you don't care and stuff.. But as Jason pointed out, we "are"
> talking to new users, and we won't have as good of luck showing to new
> users "no, don't listen to the hype, just use linux" as showing them how
> it runs on what they're currently using, or wanting to buy. Essentially, I
> want them to play with our 400mhz machines, and go to the doze section,
> playing with their 400mhz machine, and be disappointed.

Very good points.  One thought: Best Buy does sell Linux.  They don't
make as much on it as they do on a new system, but they know that
hard-core Linux geeks won't be able to resist the temptation to buy
new cool stuff.

Just look at us: we run Linux, which uses our hardware more
efficiently than Windows.  Has that stopped us from upgrading like
mad? :-)

I do like the idea of a Windows vs. Linux face-off.

> I just don't think we should focus on how good Linux runs on what people
> ran last year, because that isn't what the Best Buy audience is looking
> for. I mean, if they're coming into Best Buy, and looking at our
> computers, chances are they're shopping for an upgrade or new machine,
> right?

There are those who can't afford a new system, but can afford lots of
little upgrades to an old system.  They might not bother, watching
Win98 and O2K swap their system to death, if they think it's obsolete;
OTOH, if they think they can revitalize it with Linux, they might be
more inclined to buy a few more MBs of RAM, or a new disk, or a video
card, or...

I agree that the focus should be on the big iron.  But one "vintage"
system would be a nice counterpoint.