Re: An article from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/news/msnw/linuxmyths.asp

=====================

> don't know about you but i think david has got goliath shaking in his boots :)

Yeah, some of that was pretty weak. The rock is swinging!

> comments ?

I do agree with them about the desktop; Win9x is much better there (of
course, my ideal layout would be *MACINTOSH* clients and a Linux server,
if it weren't for the lack of software issue).

BUT...

As they've done before, they taken the worst of Linux (or, distorted the
facts), and then compared that with their own propaganda.

I liked how the Linux swap file can only be 128 MB; they've conveniently
forgotten that you can chain up *16* of the damned things for a COMBINED
total of 2 gigs.

Hell, now that I'm into it, let's start from the beginning:

30 years old: could also be seen as "tried & true". The Boeing 747 is over
30 years old now, too, with major improvements (Airbus uses the same
argument against them). NT is young & dumb. Bill Gates is over 30.

Linux was not designed from the ground-up to support symmetrical
multiprocessing (SMP): am I to believe that NT was? Even so, Linux
supports SMP prefectly well now, so it's a moot point.

graphical user interfaces (GUI): This is their only legitimate point.

fine-grained security model: HA HA HA, HO HO HO, HEE HEE HEE

Linux simply cannot deliver on the hype: now there's displacement if I've
ever seen it ("displacement" being the psychological condition of accusing
others of having your faults, instead of you).

For File and Print services: Can't respond here; no experience. Was this
where they used the suped-up Win box and the dumpy Linux box, like how
weight-loss adverts show the "before" woman without her hair done, in
dumpy clothes in an unflattering pose and not smiling, and the "after"
woman smiling & trendy-looking & probably just as fat as "before"?

For Web servers: This explains why Yahoo! and other heavy-hitters use
either Linux or FreeBSD?

For e-commerce workloads: can't comment

For transaction-orientated Line of Business applications: What the hell
does that mean? Is this an example of "Meaningless Information to Promote
Sales"?

Linux only supports 2 gigabytes (GB) of RAM on the x86 architecture: They
even admit that this is on the verge of being a non-issue. Plus, 64 bit
systems will change all this.

The Linux community continues to promise major SMP and performance
improvements: which they provide; now how about you (NT)?

Well, I'm not going to spend all day on this, but here's one more:

Linux Needs Real World Proof Points Rather than Anecdotal Stories:
Read: NT must hide behind distorted statistics, because their anecdotal
stories are all BAD!

Well...

Therefore, commercial support services for Linux will be fee-based and
will likely be priced at a premium: am I to believe that Win support is
free? HO HO HO HEE HEE HEE HA HA HA!

See how these leading companies and organizations have deployed Windows NT
Server 4.0: ignorant mother f*ckers...  Should I laugh or cry?

Myth: Linux is Free: Well, it was true the last time *I* checked...

With the release of the Windows 2000 operating system: no, no, let's not
bait & switch here. If NT is so good, why are they dropping the name?

Possibly because it SUCKS?!

-J