Re: Need Help

Hi,
  I wonder if the problem might be that mentioned in the latest security
report from Caldera (October 21):

ftp://locutus2.calderasystems.com/pub/OpenLinux/security/CSSA-1999-032.0.txt

Note that for some reason I can't get to the alias name of the Caldera ftp
server (ftp://ftp.calderasystems.com/) from my netscape, but the "real"
name of the server (locutus2.calderasystems.com) works for me. Dunno if
other folks will find the same thing..nslookup doesn't have a problem.

When things like this happen to me (I use unix-type OS's mostly at work)
it is well worthwhile to notify the vendor of what happened. Caldera may
already have some suggestions on what to do and if not, they might want to
see copies of various log files to help armour their product.

Now, I see that the current activity report at CERT
(http://www.cert.org/current/current_activity.html) shows that there are a
number of current root-compromising attacks, many of which can be
automated. They have a list of "artifacts" left by the intruders
which you can search for to help you identify the method. Scary.

This is an important subject; one that I wish I knew more about. If
someone on this list can help Justin, let the list know also.

Erich

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      Internet: erich@museum.state.il.us
http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/staff/erich/erich.html