Re: Installing Red Hat 6.1

Adam Van Pelt wrote:

>  I am having some problems installing Red Hat 6.1. Here's the info on the
> box I am trying to install to:
>
>  - Dual procs., dual hard drives, CD-ROM, tape drive, three network cards
> (one on the motherboard, and two additional PCI cards).

Wow, that's almost as cool as my personal machine... ;)

>  Here's what's happening --
>
>  I get through the installation of packages to the point where I need to
> remove all bootable media and click Exit. I do that, and when the system
> reboots, I receive the dreaded "Missing Operating System" error.
>
>  I have done both the Server install, and the Custom install. The three or
> four times I have done the custom install, I have chosen to write Lilo to
> both the master boot record and to the first sector on the first hard
> drive (those are the only two options I have). Either way, I get the same
> results -- missing OS.
>
>  Now, when I create a boot disk and insert that for the machine to boot
> off of, the machine boots and goes through all of the diagnostics just
> fine. That is, until it gets to the point where it starts wanting to
> detect the network cards. It brings up "lo" fine (which is loopback,
> correct?) But then when it tries to bring up eth0, it stops dead in its
> tracks, and does not go any further in the boot-up process.

Is there a way to disable the on-board ethernet adaptor?  You might
consider that, and you may also look into taking everything except the
video card out and watching it boot...

As an aside, did you create a small partition on your first drive to hold
the kernel itself?  It's possible that you're hitting that "PC hardware
sucks arse, so the kernel has to be in the first 1024 sectors or somethign
like that" error...  Perhaps look into creating a /boot to hold kernels,
and make it sit somewhere in the front of the disk, preferably real close
to the start.

I'll refrain from my "what are you using that redhat crap for anyway"
comments, 'cause my friends SuSE and slack both suck in their own,
"special" ways, and lumpy linux (my distrib) isn't gonna work for you
unless you're willing to wait until I get it done *and* you're gonna use
that wild box exclusively as an mp3 player/icecast server. :)

--Danny, who should really get some more work done on lumpy someday - and
set his clock back...