Re: help

If you're running SuSE, you need the root passwd even if you boot to single
mode...

BTW, since I didn't see anyone else say it, the way *I'd* do it is to boot
with a seperate system-on-a-disk (tom's root-boot, picoboot,
rescue-disk-of-your-choice), mount your root partition, then edit the
/etc/shadow file, removing the screwy set of chars in the second
colon-delimited field.  That's root's encrypted passwd, and if you make that
field contain nothing (so you have root::stuff...) then root's password will
be nothing.  You can then reboot normally and lgin as root without being
prompted for a password - followed by typing "passwd" to set a new one.

--Danny