Re: MY COMPUTER WONT TALK TO ME

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Mike Gatton wrote:

I hate it when people don't keep keep what they write to
around 80 chars per line (or less).

> Howdy:
>         I want to be able to dial into my computer and view files from a remote location. I currently have diald setup to use ppp that allows me to access the outside world from my computer. What daemon do I need to have setup to answer INCOMMING calls? I assume that I will need to modify inetd's config file to either send mgetty to the appropriate port. Could someone that has done the deed before please give me a brief tutorial on the subject and/or point me to the appropriate HOW-TO?
> Thanks

There are simple ways.

Simple way 1)
install mgetty, and change your inittab so that /dev/ttyS1 (or whatever
your modem is on) runs mgetty.  You can dial in with a terminal
emulator, and you'll be presented with a login.

method 2)
set up /dev/ttyS1 to run pppd.  You can dial in with a connect to your
computer through ppp.

Mark Blunier