Xdm and chooser

I've got my laptop networked with my Desktop system.  I'm trying
to get xdm to run chooser over the laptop.  I'm running Debian
with stock config files, with the following change.
The :0 line is removed from /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

When I start X with
X -indirect K7
I get a chooser listing K7 (the desktop) and laptop
I can choose either one and they work.

When I start X with
X indirect laptop
I get a chooser listing K7, laptop, and localhost.
I can chose laptop or localhost, and X starts on the localhost,
but if I choose K7, I get a grey screen like X is trying to start,
but xdm is not running, and then after a few seconds I get the
chooser back.

Any ideas on why the desktop won't fire up if selected from
a laptops chooser?

Mark Blunier

Jeff, in case you are wondering, your dual celeron should have me
beat on bogomips.

Detected 503531582 Hz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 501.35 BogoMIPS