Re: .tgz

> Anyone out there very comfortable with slack's pkgtool?
>
> Or, for that matter, just the reqs and recs for upgrading libraries...

1) Copy the new library to /lib (or /usr/lib, or where ever the old one
   is)

2) Update the symbolic link to point to the new library:

   ln -sf /lib/libx.so.x.x.x /lib/libx.so.x

EXAMPLE:

Say I have this in /lib:

libdb.so@
libdb.so.1@
libdb.so.1.85.4*

To upgrade, I copy the new library to /lib. Now I have this:

libdb.so@
libdb.so.1@
libdb.so.1.85.4*
libdb.so.2.0.4*

I then type two commands:

1)   ln -sf /lib/libdb.so.2.0.4 /lib/libdb.so

2)   ln -sf /lib/libdb.so.2.0.4 /lib/libdb.so.2

Delete the old library if you want, or leave it for an emergency backup.

NOTE: Any programs that used the old library may need to be recompiled.
This is especially important with libc! Don't think that you can just
upgrade libc5 to libc6, because you can't.

-J