RE: Newbie Night

> Okay, that's cool. Can you post (or repost) what's taken care of, so I
> can get an idea of what areas might be left open. Thanks.

I'll dig it up. But I really don't think I have any "open" areas. Not for
what I want to do. If you have a subject you want to do that's
appropriate, I'll schedule it. If it is in an area not being covered,
we'll do it on a "misc topic" night.

> Also (last one, I promise =), what are your thoughts on the problems
> of handling new people who miss some of the earlier topics, and thus
> lack a good foundation for learning about the current topics?

The schedule will rotate frequently, allowing new users to easily catch
up. We'll also do an 'install quicky' at every meeting, of different
distribution, (different one each meeting) to introduce newbies to install
habits, and open floor discussion for current install problems of any
distribution. As most of the installs are similar, it will help
familiarize new 'newbies' with installs, and the basics.

If this goes as well as I hope, I'm going to cuddle up to Steven, and the
regular LUCI guys to coordinate mini presentations for LUCI that
complement newbie night. That way, there's something at regular LUCI
meetings to make newbies feel more comfortable, thus getting more out of
regular LUCI meetings. For instance, have a NN topic of 'basic unix
commands', then follow up at LUCI with a "LUCI Quicky", a 20 minute
presentation on an advanced Unix commands, such as 'integrating Unix
commands' like 'grep', 'sed' or the |, > and things like that that would
be related. Or, have a 'network install' at NN, and a 'setting up apache'
at LUCI.

Not only would this help get newbies more interested in LUCI, and more
quickly get them involved, but it can refresh the old fogies and maybe
even teach them a thing or two that they forgot about!

This would also allow LUCI to have more than one face talking at the
meetings.