Re: corel

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 09:54:14AM -0600, Burke, Jason wrote:

> The main thing I've noticed about the differences between rpm and deb
> is that debian seems to handle package dependencies and the package
> database better. However, on the other hand rpm is a much cleaner
> and simpler implementation. I often get annoyed with all the pre-
> and post-script execution that goes on with debian packages(very ugly
> to look at and confusing when your just trying to get something installed).

That's been solved.  The next version has something called "debconf"
that replaces all those annoying questions.  If a package needs some
configuration info at install time, it registers questions with the
system, which then asks them according to the policies chosen by the
user.  Priorities are implemented (ranging from "only ask me the most
critical questions for running the system" to "ask me every single
question you can"), and there are several options for user interfaces,
including curses full-screen UI, text-mode questions (like the current
ones), and (maybe) an X interface.

The hope is that more back-ends will be implemented for asking the
questions.  There's some work on a "kickstart" style system, as well
as a system to hold standard answers on a SQL server of some kind.

Anyway, it rocks.  One of my packages uses it, and it's fairly easy to
use from a developer's point of view.

> Although as Steve points out, these are implementation issues.
> Although, it was my understanding that rpm couldn't run scripts on post
> or pre-installation.

RPM can (for an example, look at the sshd packages), but it's
discouraged.