plug and play

I just installed a fresh copy of rh6.1 on a machine with 2 nics in the
machine. During the install, one of the cards was found, however the other
was apparently not. Upon a reboot after the completed install, a notice
came up stating that new hardware was found, with the option of setting up
the new found hardware or ignoring it. Someone, other than myself ;) chose
to ignore the new hardware. Since then, the message does not come up, and
although I have support for ne2000 cards compiled into the kernel, running
any ifconfig eth1 commands are ignored with the error that devices does
not exist.
Is the plug and play message logged to syslog? Or where could I look to
see what new hardware was found? Finally, if support is compiled into the
kernel for this vendor's nic, how should I go about bringing it up?

thanks
cjm