Re: pine.deb?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 06:05:16AM -0600, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> charles@lunarmedia.net said:
> > I can't seem to find a debian package for pine.
>
> Can't you just "apt-get install pine"?

Unfortunately, no.

> Actually, I seem to recall Jeff saying something about Debian only
> distributing pine as source, since the licensing is rather screwy.
> (Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong here.)  I think he said that the binary
> package was really just source, which was then built on the system.

That's right.  The license for pine forbids distribution of modified
binaries without negotiating a separate license from UW.  Debian has
tried to negotiate something for quite a while now, without success.

So, we distribute pristine pine sources in one package (pine396-src)
and patches for packaging, security, etc. in another (pine396-diffs).
Install both of these, and then look in /usr/src/pine for a README
file describing how to build pine.

The legal hassles with pine has motivated some people to write a free
clone.  If you're interested, search the Debian list archives (at
www.debian.org) for "tip" or "tipo", or look on Freshmeat
(freshmeat.net) for "tip".