Re: c compiler cannot create executables (still).

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 06:41:12PM -0600, charles@sandman.lunarmedia.net wrote:

> Yes, its me again :)
> Just when i thought that i could only get this cursed error on redhat, it
> comes to haunt me on debian. As I recall the fix on the redhat system
> involved adding an RPM like egcs-c++-1.1.2-24 or
> compat-egcs-c++-5.2-1.0.3a.1
>
> I can't really recall. In either case, how does debian handle its
> packages? I've done some searches through debian.org, and grep'd for
> similar package names using dpkg, but I just don't see what I am missing.

Try "apt-get install g++".  That should install the equivalent of the
egcs-c++ packages under Red Hat.  If you're using gcc 2.7.x instead of
egcs ("dpkg --status gcc" and "dpkg --status egcc" should tell you),
you'll want to run "apt-get install g++272" instead.

On debian.org, under "Debian Packages" on the sidebar, there are two
package search facilities.  One allows you to search for packages by
package name, and the other allows you to find packages containing a
particular file or directory.

If the package is installed, you can use "dpkg --search <file>" to
search for the package name that contains <file>.

> Is there a way to upgrade an install to a full install?

Not in the current release.  Potato will include a set of "task
packages" which install all the packages for a task as selected at
install time.  So, for example, "apt-get install task-gnome-desktop"
would install GNOME.

In the meantime, you can look at potato's task packages and see what
they install, and use apt-get to install those.  A list can be found
at debian.org by searching, or use this URL for a prepackaged search:

http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=task*&searchon=names&version=frozen&release=all