Re: Backup Solutions

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 09:53:38PM -0600, Benjamin Story wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for an unattended backup script to use
> with a mission critical server?

I always write my own, and test them extensively.

For a really good tool, look at afio.  It's a clone of cpio with some
extra features, like safe compression/encryption options.

Cpio and afio work by reading a list of files to back up from standard
input, and writing the archive to standard output or to a file.  So,
you can use find to generate the file list depending on what you want
to do, pipe the output to cpio/afio, and write the archive to a file,
tape, etc.

Tar is also a good tool for less sophisticated backups in that it can
save an entire directory tree without messing with weird find options.