Re: symlinks to /etc/passwd?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 08:59:58PM -0600, charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:

> Is it possible or plausible to use symlinks to /etc/passwd, and
> /etc/shadow so that I am able to keep these files on a phsically seperate
> drive than where /etc is mounted?

This is not terribly safe.  I haven't tried to boot a system without
an /etc/passwd (at least, not recently), and I don't know what impact
that would have on even an emergency boot should you lose the disk
where the files really are.

Additionally, if you use a system that's managed by a package manager,
you'd likely have problems with the package manager removing and
resetting your symlinks.

Finally, you might find yourself in a bit of a race condition at boot
time, where the system may be doing things before the drive where the
files are located gets mounted.