Re: nt dialin to Linux w/ callback

Mark Blunier wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, cloudmaster wrote:
>
> > My knowledge of NT dialup would completely fill the empty set.  However,
> > for the x-ported X session, perhaps you could try something like using
> > VNC?  It works acceptabley for me in its stock form over a dial-up.  I've
> > been cosidering trying it over an SSh tunnel using compression, but I'm
> > fairly sure there's already one of a few possible types of compression
> > being used so it may not make a big difference.
>
> VNC is nice, but since it displays a copy of another system, instead or
> running its own private session, it seems to be a bit of a kludge in
> this case.

Well, Xvnc is supposedly an X server, so I'd put it as about the same level
of kludginess as the rest of X. :)  It runs in its own private session just
like any other X server (I'm running 4 of them on my work machine right now
for various reasons under various logins, along with a normal XSVGA, all on
different display numbers).  You can run a vncviewer in your root window on
the machine running Xvnc and then run a vncviewer on whatever platform
you're viewing remotely so your desktop stays the same, but the linux
version doesnt' actually copy anything like the windows vnc server does
(which is what I assume you were talking about).

Anywho, whatabout just tunneling X over ssh with compression?  Is that
acceptable on your existing link?  Does ssh's compression just suck too
badly?

--Danny