Re: nt dialin to Linux w/ callback

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 09:07:42PM -0600, cloudmaster wrote:
> >
> > Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > > Performance is a little slow, but not too bad.  The bgr233 mode
limits
> > > color depth to 8, so your color rendering is going to suck.
> >
> > Why not just run "vncserver -depth 8 :1" instead of specifying
-bgr233?
> > Is there a performance advantage I wasn't aware of?  It might also
help
> > performance to stick a "-geometry 800x600" in there too, rather
than
> > using the default 1024x768.
>
> It's been my experience that it doesn't work reliably.  I've
specified
> the color depth before and had it come up in 16-bit color; needless
> say, that really sucks bandwidth.

I've had no problems, but then, I usually use 16 biit color.

> The bgr233 mode does some other things too, like half-way decent
> dithering.

It uses the ame algorithm as the java client, which I though looked
worse.
Are you using the most current version? :)

> The same is true with the geometry line.  On Linux, this isn't such
> problem, since you can specify a geometry on the vncserver command
> line and get what you want that way.  For 9x/NT, however, you're
> pretty much stuck with whatever your screen is set at.

The new viewer can "scale" - but since you're on the client side that
doesn't help your bandwidth problem.  Then, since the question was
regarding exporting linux (or X) to an arbitrary machine...

--Dany, who should just get a bigger pip