Re: darn bootdisk making

Mark Blunier wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Cloudmaster wrote:
> > I'm having a problem with my bootdisk.
> >
> > So, I've got a kernel that works loading a compressed filesystem from a
> > single floppy, and all the binaries I'll be needing (so far) are provided by
> > busybox.  Well, I also need ifconfig, route, and ipchains (which I suppose
> > will eventually require me to go to libc.so.6)... Of course, I also need a
> > shell.
> >
> > This is where I'm having a problem.  I've got a dynamic ash linked against
> > libc.so.5 ('cause it's a lot smaller than 6).  It's in /bin/sh and there's a
> > hard link from /bin/ash to /bin/sh as well.  Busybox's  init works fine, but
> > it gives me a no-such-file-or-directory problem when it tries to run
> > /etc/init.d/rcS.  I'm presented with the same problem when it tries to run
> > /bin/sh (the default shell).  I'm guessing something is going awry with my
> > shell, 'cause the rcS script starts with #!/bin/sh too.  My first guess is
> > that I have a problem with my libraries, but I'm not sure.
> >
> > I've run ldconfig -r /tmp/mount with the image mounted on /tmp/mount, and
> > /etc/ld.so.cache is being created (it looks right).  In the hopes that
> > someone will see what I'm missing, here's a list of the files on that image
> > (with empty dirs cut out). It's driving me mostly crazy trying to figure out
> > what's going on...
>
> I don't see what you are doing wrong, but have you tried using a
> statically link ash?

That was my gonna be my next step, I ended up just grabbing ash, libc,
ld-linux, ifconfig, and route off of tom's root-boot (his binaries are
amazingly small...).  Since I've gotta get this thing up this weekend, I
figured I'll spend the time to debug the library problem on another related
project that's going in my car.  I've got more time on that one, since it
doesn't have a deadline. :)  Speaking of a static ash, the ash source I
pulled down refers to some bsd.h file or something like that.  As a result
of that not existing on the danny machines, it didn't compile.  Is there
some ash source laying around somewhere that does compile out of the box
(or tarball, as the case may be) on what I think is a regular linux box?

I need to learn more about how to use gcc and specific libraries.  Does
O'Reily make a book that covers that? :)

--Danny