No init found

I'm trying to upgrade my scripts for making boot floppies,
and I've run into a problem.  I'm using Syslinux for booting
from a boot and root disk.  When I boot, after the gzipped
root disk image is read in, I get a Kernel Panic: No init found.
try using the boot parmater init=.

By using the kernel image that comes on a Debian boot disk
instead of my own image, it works.  Both images are 2.2.14.
My image has ext2, minux, and dos compiled in.  My image
boots fine with lilo from the hard drive.  Is there anything
else I should be looking at?

MArk