Re: multiple swap files

Charles Menzes wrote:

> I found:
>
> [charles@apothecary rc.d]$ grep -i swap rc.*
> rc.sysinit:# Start up swapping.
> rc.sysinit:action "Activating swap partitions" swapon -a
> rc.sysinit:# Right, now turn on swap in case we swap to files.
> rc.sysinit:swapon -a >/dev/null 2>&1
> rc.sysinit:action "Enabling swap space" /bin/true
>
> However, I am not certain where this is pulling information for what fs is
> swap. If it is /etc/fstab, then I am still confused why the redhat install
> didnt include the second partition I set up as swap space.
> If I manually added another mount point defined as swap within fstab, will
> there be any additional configuration necessary? Will swapon need to be
> manually enabled, or does teh rc.sysinit file read the /etc/fstab file for
> any fs marked as swap?

No, just add identical lines in the fstab marked as type "swap".  The man
page says that the "-a" option pulls all the swap devices from /etc/fstab,
so you should be OK with just that.

Maybe one of the local Screwy Redhat Users :) can tell you why the setup
program didn't set it up that way to begin with.  I'm gonna guess that it's
because mkswap is only run on the swap partion that setup uses, which it
figures is the only one you'll need.  Which reminds me, you do need to run
mkswap on each swap partition before you swapon it.

BTW, if you're using multiple [SCSI] disks, you may look into software RAID
level 1 too, striped swap partitions are neat.

--Danny, who has a raid1 swap file on his SCSI machine (and likes it)