Re: big mailer

On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 12:37:23AM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Jeff Licquia said:
> [...]
> > For MTAs that support maildir
> [...]
>
> Isn't that an MDA issue?

I would imagine that, on a high-volume mail site, MTAs that directly
support the local spool format w/o having to fork per-message are
preferable.

> > Cyrus is without a doubt the higher volume system.  Its design mimics
> > inn for news, which can handle very high loads.
>
> And that's supposed to be a good thing?  *shudder*
>
> INN is evil.  Don't speak of it in my presence.
>
> ;-)
>
> (Seriously, INN is a maintenance nightmare, but I suppose there has to
> be some good ideas in there somewhere.  At the very least, it's a
> textbook example of how not to spool news.  Actually, it probably
> would be a better model for spooling mail than news, now that I think
> about it...)

Perhaps I should have been more clear and said "...mimics news
spoolers".  The last time I managed a news spool, it was still
possible (although not recommended) to do a full feed (minus alt.*)
over dialup.  At the time, inn had some advantages over C-news.
(C-news.  Now there's a fun one to manage...)

The news spoolers have some good ideas, which have been copied by
other projects over the years.  For all its flaws, inn was able to
handle some pretty high loads.

> You know, this all reminds me that one of these years I'm going to
> write my own MDA and MUA...

In Perl, right? :-)