Re: Debian and Slackware

Jordan Bettis.
-- The predominate characteristic among professional educators is their
   flagrant and systematic failure to do so.

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 11:11:36PM -0400, Jordan Bettis wrote:
>
> > Would someone be kind enough to burn me CDs of the latest Slackware and/or
> > Debian distros?
> >
> > I don't want to wait for Cheapbytes. I'll be at the Perl meeting this
> > tuesday, if you could give them to me then. I'm willing to pay (IIRC,
> > Cheapbytes charges $7.00 per CD).
> >
> > I know this is question is a bit unorthodox, but all I have is a POTS line
> > at home, and cheapbytes is a huge hassle.
>
> I can burn you a Debian set, if you like.
[snip]
>  - The single-CD Debian "slink-and-a-half" distro as distributed by VA
> Linux in the pretty box.  Not as out of date as Official Debian, but
> some of the software is a bit on the old side.
[snip]
> Let me know what you want.  I'll charge you $2 per disk.  Please let
> me know ASAP if you want the potato disks; I'll actually have to build
> the images for that before burning them.

Yeah, that will be fine (the slink-and-a-half set) I'm ether going to use
it for a masq proxy or a fileserver (I might use freeBSD for the proxy) so
very current software is not a must (I won't even install X, and that
seems to be the most volatile part of Linux right now).

I still need the Slack disk (most likely Slackware 7) as I'm using it for
a different project, a 386 laptop with no CD-ROM, so I need Slack style
packages and floppy install. Ah well, My need for slack is not as pressing
as my need for Debian, so I might just go ahead and buy it from
cheapbytes.

Thanks,

Jordan Bettis.