Re: ipchains

Well, for the home machine, there is no masquerading. It is a single NIC
connecting to a switched segment with a cable modem for upstream access. I
will try the netstat option you suggested. Until now, I have been running:
	netstat -na | grep -i listen
	netstat -na | grep -i udp
I did use lsof to find what applications were using some of the higher
port numbers that did not look familiar. As I mentioned, I blocked access
for X from the outside. I dropped running Gnome since it seemed to open a
load of ports that I was unaware it would be using. Anyone have a good
description of what it uses the higher ports for?

cjm

Lunar Media Incorporated
what a wicked web we weave
http://www.lunarmedia.net