RE: Good C books

I would like to add a couple books to this list for the beginners
out there.

Absolute Beginners Guide to C
by: Greg M. Perry
ISBN: 0672305100
(4.5 stars out of 5 with 49 reviews on Amazon)
(He also wrote Absolute Beginners Guide to Programming)

Mr. Perry does a wonderful job of laying the groundwork for
starting programmers. I've read both of his books, and so far
they have been the most concise, and understandable texts
for the novice programmer that I have ever picked up.

If you're still interested in C after this book then I would
recommend getting this book:

The C Programming Language
By: Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie
ISBN: 0131103628

This is probably the most compact and through text on the
C language (of course that's because it's written by the
designers of C). The really valuable part of this book is that
it gives you a glimpse into the thinking behind C and how it
works under Unix. This is not a beginners book per se, but
it contains a great number of useful gems for C programmers
of any level. I find myself coming back to this one again
and again (it also has a nice breakdown of what's supposed
to be in the standard C library).

And/or this one from O'Reilly:

Practical C Programming
By: Steve Oualline
ISBN: 1-56592-306-5
(Steve Oualline also has an excellent C++ book)

I've only read parts of this book, but this was the book that my
instructor used when I had my first C class in 93. It's a good book
for the more technically minded people, and it has some great
tips on writing maintainable and readable code.

Aside from these three books, the Internet is going to be the best
source of information. Here's a couple of great links for C and Linux
programming:

Linux Programming: www.linuxprogramming.com - Great site!

The Linux Programmers Guide: www.luci.org/LDP - Some useful
info, mainly an alphabetical list of system calls in appendix A.

Linux Central: www.linuxcentral.com - Even though this is a online
retailer they have the man pages online. Look on the left side of
the front page towards the bottom for the link.

DeveloperWorks from IBM: www.ibm.com/developer/linux - Great
info!

Linux Dev.net: www.linuxdev.net - Another interesting programming
portal. Worth a look every now and then.

Programmers Heaven: www.programmersheaven.com - Great site
for all sorts of topics.

Well, that about covers it. Enjoy.

Jason