Re: Good C books

Previousl Burke, Jason (JBurke@lrs.com):

> If you're still interested in C after this book then I would
> recommend getting this book:
>
> The C Programming Language
> By: Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie
> ISBN: 0131103628
>
> This is probably the most compact and through text on the
> C language (of course that's because it's written by the
> designers of C). The really valuable part of this book is that
> it gives you a glimpse into the thinking behind C and how it
> works under Unix. This is not a beginners book per se, but
> it contains a great number of useful gems for C programmers
> of any level. I find myself coming back to this one again
> and again (it also has a nice breakdown of what's supposed
> to be in the standard C library).

This is the only C book I recommend.  It covers everything you need
to know.  It explains it completely.  It explains it once.  It
gives examples using what was previously explained.  It will probably
take several goings through to fully understand everything, but it
doesn't waste your time repeating basic concepts ad infinum like
most of the books do.  If you don't understand, re-read the section
that explains it.  Its all there.  And in the future, when you need
to go back, its not hard to find it.  The big books usually partially
explain the concepts, several times, in several locations, and still
may not get the job done.  Trying to find the right section later on
is also a pain.

Mark