Re: cable "modems" and security

On 11 Apr 2000, Steven Pritchard replied to Cloudmaster:
>> but I'll tell you, since I got my cable modem installed
>> last Monday, I've got all kinds of ISO's... :)
>
> That reminds me...  We just got our service turned on last
> Friday.  It's remarkably good.  (That might have something
> to do with the fact that nobody else in the area is set up
> yet, but I guess time will tell...)
>
> Is Springfield getting any closer to getting service yet?

Not expecting it anytime soon out here south of Pixley,
but was curious--doesn't this mean more home users
assigned static IP addresses?  If so, it suggests to me
need for more popular awareness of network security
practices.  I hear little talk about this, and not sure if
it means there's reasons it's not such a concern, or if
marketing just doesn't care to tell customers that the
transition may be accompanied by additional worries.
Wondering what the implications may be, particularly
for Linux users, but also generally, given developments
like the 911 worm propagating across the net by scanning
for open Windows shares.