Re: cable "modems" and security

well, actually since cable modems and dsl bridge to traditional arpa
encapsulated ethernet, DHCP *should* be used by most of the ISPs/Cable
Companies offering the service. Nevertheless, since it is shared media,
there a a good deal of security concerns since sniffing traffic is very
easily done. Depending on how good of a job the company has done
subnetting the networks they have in there control, your machine's traffic
could be seen by hundreds of users. with 21st century in chicago, they
actually started off handing out addresses with 16 bit masks. Since then
they have broken up their networks to limit the number of users on each
segment.
i think covering some of the ins and outs of ipchains, or how ip traffic
works may not be a bad idea for some newbie lug meetings.

cjm

Lunar Media Incorporated
what a wicked web we weave
http://www.lunarmedia.net