Re: Broadband

Jeff Licquia said:
> Some of these issues are reported to be solved (or at least not as
> bad) with PPPoE.  Then again, this being the Midwest, I'm sure PPPoE
> won't make it this way for another few years, seeing as how it's
> relatively new.

On the contrary...  All the cheap DSL equipment apparently uses PPPoE.
(Oh, and just so you know, Ted Ts'o referred to PPPoE as "the
abomination also known as PPP over Ethernet (PPPOE)" in
<200004210329.XAA28130@tsx-prime.MIT.EDU>, posted to linux-kernel.)

> Right this second (in Springfield, anyway), cable is going to kick
> DSL's little butt all over the mat bandwidth-wise.  The problem, as
> you say, is what happens when the service gets popular.  Got a
> neighbor like me?  Too bad. :-)

Are you really sure about that?  Honestly, how much high-bandwidth
downloading do you really do?

> Also, cable sucks because of the Acceptable Use Policies they
> typically carry.  Because of the shared bandwidth issues, they
> typically get really pissed whenever you do anything interesting, like
> run Napster.

The cheap DSL providers have some of the same bandwidth issues, so I
wouldn't be at all surprised if they have the same AUPs.  Plus, from
what I hear, most of the cheap DSL providers are fascists about IP
addresses...  One of the benefits they apparently get from PPPoE is
being able to force an address change on occasion.

> I saw that Cox, for example, charges extra for *upload*
> bandwidth usage over a certain level (it strikes me that it was
> 250MB/month, but I could be wrong).

Could be.  AT&T doesn't have any such restrictions, or if they do
they're not advertised obviously.  (Since I transferred a gig or two
of mp3s to my work box the other day, I'd hope they don't have any
such policy.  ;-)

> Also, cable sucks in this town because it's overhyped.

Well, since it's been advertised forever without actually being
generally available.  :-)

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month