The lowdown on ADSL

I called davesworld as I said I would, and they put my fears to
rest. First of all, they said that they would *not* be using PPPoE, so
all of the issues surrounding that are moot. The guy sounded pretty honest
about that and I did not lead on that I did not like PPPoE, I think he is
telling the truth.

I asked him if they used a data bus topo like cable or if they use
star. He seemed a little confused by the question at first, (he thought
that I was asking if they used the cable company's hardware) when he
figured out what I was asking, he said that they pull every line back to
their hardware individually where they dump them on optic lines (he
stressed that they would be optic) to Bloomingon where they are routed to
the internet. I asked him what their internet connection was and he said
that he couldn't tell me because it was proprietary but he later said
"multiple T-3s".

He said that they used Alcotel (phon) bridges (one could get a cisco
bridge if they wanted) and they cost $100 (billed to the customer) other
than that, installation is free if one registers before May 1, $250 after
that (if they don't extend the deal, he acted as if they might).

I asked about Static IP, he asked what I would used it for, I said Telnet,
Finger, SMTP, and UNIX Talk (the usual suspects (-8 ). I was a bit
suprised he didn't flinch at SMTP as they charge a pretty penny for more
POP accounts, but he said "It could most likely be arranged but it would
cost $10 extra a month"(1). I know he was ready to pounce if I said
"HTTP" so I didn't, I don't plan to use it anyhow.

He then confided that the IP won't change much at all. He said only if I
shut down my computer (my 486 Masq proxy? not hardly) or they reboot the
router, he said that they would not do that too often.

I also noticed that they $49.95 service through GTE is only 10kbps base
with 760kbps bursts. I asked him about that and he said that that was
specific to GTE (I know, Gee GTE). He said that with Ameritech we could
expect at least 200kbps base with 760k bursts "fairly often".

I also asked him if he knew when, exactly, Ameritech would actually put
the loops in. He said that Ameritech told them "Sixty to Ninety days" so
We'll have to see how that pans(2) out.

All in all, it sounds almost too good to be true, but he acted like he
knew what he was talking about and that he was answering truthfully so I
believe him. I still need to get more information on cable (actually, just
the cost) but at this point in time I'm strongly leaning towards DSL
through Davesworld.

1. this is not an exact quote, but it is close enough.

2. heh, pans isn't a word, but PANS is 'Pretty Amazing New Stuff' I think
   that applies here 8-).

So there you have it.

Jordan Bettis.
 "Damn it! Somebody spiked my coffee with water"  --Larry Wall

One more thing:

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Cloudmaster wrote:
 > On a side note, did you ever do any contract work for Parkland, Jordan, or
> was it just someone with a concidentaly similar name?  Have I asked
> before? :)
No, sorry, you must be thinking of someone else.