Re: The lowdown on ADSL

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Leon Jackson wrote:
> >How often does your IP change?
>
> Usually only when i reboot.
> they have the lease time set to 1 hr.
> during the first couple of weeks i had a problem with any connection i had
> open breaking when the lease renewed (on my windows box, i didn't notice
> the problem with the linux box).

That sounds good. My gateway is going to be a Debian nat and squid. The
only time I should have to reboot it is when CWLP decides I need to, and
that is what DNS is all about. Does anyone know how often joker.com's DNS
servers take to update? I have a friend who will host me on his DNS
service whenever he gets it working, but if that is not before Ameritech
gets DSL here, I'll pay Joker to host it.

Even if I have one multiple hour outage a month, it will still be good
enough for mail.

I've chosen my name but I don't want to tell anyone for fear of squatters.

One more thing that perhaps somebody could help me out with. What would I
set for the ethernet adapter's IP address? Do they use BOOTP for it, or is
there some 'default' IP I need to set it to? I suppose the Ether-DSL
bridge could take care of that. My ethernet hub advertises to just hook
the bridge into it's MDA uplink. That is (IMHO) a horrible idea. Then one
would have to lock down every box on their network to keep the crackers
out.

Jordan Bettis.
 "Damn it! Somebody spiked my coffee with water"  --Larry Wall