Re: Broadband

Jordan Bettis said:
> I don't know too much about Windows 8-) but couldn't you run masq on a NT
> box for your Linux boxes on an ethernet?

No.  The best you can do is use M$ Proxy as a socks relay, but socks
is just ugly to begin with...

> Well, GTE has DSL, but it's, um, from GTE. That's in Bloomington, and it
> dosen't look too impressive.

In Carbondale, various friends have been telling me good things about
ADSL.  Of course, it was ridiculously expensive...

> The same is for the cable services, I bet even the brand new lines they're
> putting in today are installed as the ones in Sherman were, basically
> dasy-chaining the houses together.

That's what they do in each neighborhood.

> They haven't figured out how to set the
> networt up for two way data. Even though coax can carry a shitload more
> data than Cat3 UTC, the phone system was built to handle it better. I
> mean, even with voice there is bandwith issues (in that one can have
> only so many analog signals in Cat3 UTC). They had to have much more
> centralized topography so as to be able to handle voice from each house
> (unless the customers would go for a party line). Data over coax is
> really neat, but unless (until?) the cable companies trench new lines so
> as to make their network topography more condusive to two way data, I
> think data over Cat3 UTC phone network is the only thing that will be able
> to delever broadband internet (assuming the ISPs don't screw it up, that
> is) on any type of large scale.

Actually, the reason cable Internet service has been taking so long to
get rolled out is that AT&T (formerly TCI) has been running fiber for
their "backbone" in each city.  So they actually have figured out how
to get bidirectional working (they needed to anyway for stuff like
digital cable).  The only real problems they have left is that the
remaining coax sucks in most areas, and they have to figure out how to
segment their networks so that they get reasonable quality of service
without spending insane amounts of money.

> Of course, if they start making it standard to run optics to every
> house...

You might be surprised...  I bet they're considering it.

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month