Re: The lowdown on ADSL

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, John Corey wrote:

> > He then confided that the IP won't change much at all. He said only if I
> > shut down my computer (my 486 Masq proxy? not hardly) or they reboot the
> > router, he said that they would not do that too often.
>
> Yes, for some reason they say that, but it does change rather often.  My
> brother has their DSL in Bloomington, and it's chaotic.  You can have
> one IP for a week or two, then have 4 or 5 the next week.  Up here
> (around Peoria) there are a couple DSP ISPs that just do static IPs by
> default (and AT&T does that as well).  See if there is anyone else able
> to offer DSL before going to them.

That's intresting. I'll take that into consideration. Does anyone know of
any good (cheap) DynDNS servers? If I could get my name hosted on one of
them, I could write a shell script to call them and change my IP every
time Davesworld cycles it. In which case, floating IPs will become moot.

> > All in all, it sounds almost too good to be true, but he acted like he
> > knew what he was talking about and that he was answering truthfully so I
> > believe him. I still need to get more information on cable (actually, just
> > the cost) but at this point in time I'm strongly leaning towards DSL
> > through Davesworld.
>
> AT&T just started rolling cable modems December/January.  From a couple
> people that have had them, they're pissed.  They tell me how they go
> down too often, etc, but the bandwidth is nice when it is up.  I've read
> several personal web pages and such about cable rollouts and they always
> say how it's bumpy for the first year or so.  So I guess, beware...

So that dosen't sound like a good deal ether. I suppose I could buy DSL
now and then decide later on if I want Cable instead. Hardware costs could
get prohibitive though.

> I just happen to live in the one town in this area that doesn't have DSL
> or Cable.  As if that wasn't enough, GTE is kind enough to have crappy
> phone lines, so my modem locks up a lot. :)  Their position on coming
> out and testing my lines, "If you pick up the phone and can dial out,
> there's nothing more we can do."

Well, that's GTE 8-).

Jordan Bettis.
 "Damn it! Somebody spiked my coffee with water"  --Larry Wall