Re: scsi emulation (yes, again)

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Charles Menzes wrote:
> the error I am getting now when running xcdroast is:
>
> ** WARNING **: Failed to scan the SCSI-bus. Either no permission to access
> the
> generic scsi devices or no SCSI support in the kernel.
> (For ATAPI (IDE) devices you need to install SCSI-Emulation first)
>
> now, i have scsi emulation enabled in the kernel under ide block devices,
> and i have all of the scsi options enabled as modules.

So you have IDE-SCSI compiled in or modularized?  Looking at your module
list, there's no CD-ROM driver and you say you have SCSI ooptions
modularized.  Did you compile IDE-CD or SCSI-CD into the kernel?  Hopefully
not, so all you'll need to do is "modprobe sr_mod" (I think) for the CD
drive to show up (as /dev/sr0 or /dev/scd0, whichever).  You'll also want to
"rmmod ide-cd" if it shows up in a lsmod.

> one thing that does bother me is that on boot, i see a good deal of errors
> relating to unresolved symbols when the machine goes to look for kernel
> modules. how can i verify that my modules are loading properly? lsmod
> gives me:
>
> [/rpms] Yes, my master? >lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> sg                     15388   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> eepro100               15940   1  (autoclean)
> opl3                   11496   0
> sb                     34132   0
> uart401                 6256   0  [sb]
> sound                  58264   0  [opl3 sb uart401]
> soundlow                 420   0  [sound]
> soundcore               2692   6  [sb sound]
>

> so, i *think* they arfe loading properly right?

*I* don't see any problems, but I'm not the oficial list kernel hacker...

> also, with the error on running xcdroast, is there a possible permissions
> error? I am attempting to run this as root:
>
> - A P O T H E C A R Y -
> [/rpms] Yes, my master? >whoami
> root

Should be OK as root, I'd guess no permission problems unless you're getting
the error as a user and not as root...  I imagine you guessed as much,
however. :)  /dev/sg0 and /dev/sr0 (AKA /edev/scd0) should both be
writeable, I think, by the user wanting to burn.

--Danny, who sold his IDE burner real cheap around Christmas time