Re: Linux Journal

On Wed, 3 May 2000, John Corey wrote:

> Kara Pritchard wrote:
> >
> > The training has, but not the testing. Keep in mind, granted RHCE is 66%
> > hands on, it's not psychometrically developed. This means there is no R&D
> > behind the RHCE that makes it legally valid to state that a passing score
> > RHCE actually proves anything.
>
> PHB's like initials like this.  The Global Knowledge place that Steve
> mentioned has it all over their web pages.  I could handle a drive up to
> Chicago better than going to North Carolina.  I looked at some of the
> practice exams for MCSE at my last job.  It was crazy some of the stuff
> they were asking, besides the propaganda people have already said.  You
> had to know exactly what the wording was in various menu items,
> View->Internet Options vs Tools->Options vs Edit->Preferences, or is the
> username box when creating a user labeled Name, Username, Login ID,
> etc.  I can sit down and do what's needed in front of a computer.  But
> to remember the exact wording?  Is it so horrible if I take 1/4 of a
> second to scan the various menus of an app?  If 66% of the RHCE is hands
> on, I welcome it, as long as they don't want me to type from scratch an
> entire dhcpd.conf or httpd.conf.

No, there are 3 exams to the RHCE, all taken in one day. One is a 2 hour
debugging hands on, where multiple things in the computer are broken, and
you're expected to find out what and fix it. The other is a 2-3 hour
Installation and Configuration hands on, where you install a box from
scratch, and configure a large number of services. The third is a way easy
written exam that tests trivia more than anything.

You can't get below of 50 on any one exam, and you must have an 80%
composite to pass.

- Kara

Kara Pritchard, RHCE			Phone: 618-398-7360
Linux Users of Central Illinois		kara@luci.org
Asst Dir for Program Development	kara@lpi.org
Author, RHCE Exam Cram			kara@linux.com