Re: X Server on Windows

On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 10:58:42AM -0000, Erving Blake wrote:

> I am running MicroSystems X Server for windows to run X programs
> from a Windows box.. The programs run OK, but I would like to be
> able to start them from the windows box.. As is stands now, I must
> telnet into the Linux box, export DISPLAY=whatever.box.iwant then
> start the X program... Is there a way to get kde to be the program
> that starts on the windows box so I can select and start the program
> from there?

This is the MIX server, right?  At one point, I had MIX running with a
full Linux desktop displaying on it.

The key is this: MIX, by default, runs a local window manager (twm, I
believe).  As long as that's running, it controls window placement,
etc.  If you kill twm on the local box, though (or prevent it from
running in the first place - don't remember how to do that), you can
then run a remote window manager on the remote box you're trying to
reach.  At that point, you should be able to do something like this in
your telnet session:

  export DISPLAY=<machine>:0
  startkde &

(Or "gnome-session &", or "wmaker &", or whatever.)

As for the automatic stuff: you might look into one of the ssh
products for Windows to do this.  Try to remote-execute a command line
like this with ssh:

  bash -c "export DISPLAY=<machine>:0; nohup startkde &"

You'd likely also be a lot safer disabling X connections except from
localhost on MIX and use ssh's tunneling mode to auto-forward X
connections securely.  The trick is, of course, finding an ssh that
will do X forwarding.  If you can get this working, then you can
remove the "export DISPLAY" command from everything.