Re: password protect directories from command-prompt?

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 07:42:33AM -0500, Charles Menzes wrote:

> well, i guess that i was looking for something more along the lines of how
> htaccess works for accessing directories through apache. i am wanting to
> secure a directory from someone just be able to  walk up when a user
> with rights to the directory is logged in.

That's been a thorny question for a long time.  The best thing to do
is provide session lock utilities and encourage users to use them.

One thing that might help: It is possible to attach a password to a
group, such that a user can only gain access to a group's privilege by
entering the password.  That won't help if a user logs in to the group
and walks away, but it at least mitigates the risk when a user logs in
to do something totally unrelated.  I've never done it before, but
I've heard of it being done.