Re: GNOME 1.2

As I type this under my helix-gnome desktop, I'd be inclined to say
that the helix-gnome installer needs a little work.  I had a whole
pile of problems with my fresh SuSE 6.4 install until I first grabbed
all of the rpms I needed, cleared up the "SuSE names their packages
all wrong" problems, then re-ran the helix-installer.  I've still got
a problem with gmc not running because I can't find libext2fs.so.2
and libcom_err.so.2, and the "foot" button doesn't exist - I think
as a result of the same thing.  BTW, anyone know what packages I
should grab to get those libraries?  I should really learn to use
rpmfind... :)

That said, I really like the default setup.  After I get some of the
little bugs cleared up, I'll be making it the default environment in
our linux labs.  The applications that come bundled work real nice,
and the whole environment has a real clean look to it.  I personally
hate KDE for bringing all of the bad things of windows with it, and now
I think I have an environment that I can replace it with nicely.  The
problem with gnome being unstable has not at all been an issue for me
here, and I've been running it on one of the public machines for about
two weeks of "intro to unix" class.  Next week when the programming
classes start, I guess I'll find out if there are any real problems
with it.  It's nice to have a working abiword and dia to go with a pretty
nice sawfish setup without having to do much extra initial work.  Heck,
I don't need windowmaker anymore (adding *={NoAppIcon=YES;}; to
WMWindowAttributes was a hassle anyway)...

So far I'm real impressed with helix gnome's setup, but a little dissapointed
with the installer on SuSE.  But I'm used to installs not working right
with SuSE. :)  I'd bet if I was using turbolinux (the rpm's that the
helix-installer installed on my SuSE 6.4) or redhat (shudder) or even
debian it would've been a little smoother, and I'd be happier.

To answer Steve's initial question, I'm interested in using a mirror. :)
I would've have already set one up, but I think the cable people would
complain at me and my dial-up isn't *that* cool... ;)

--Danny

[...]