Re: Walking in my sleep

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 09:07:25AM -0000, Erving Blake wrote:
> Howdy all--
>
>     I set up my Linux box at home using smb for NT Authentication, all went fine.
> I can access files on the Linux box from my Windoze 95 machine, and my wifes
> Windoze 98 machine and the kids box in the basement... BUT I recently bought
> a new computer for the living room, it is a athalon 650Mhz with 17GB and 128MB Ram.
> When I try to access the Linux box from this machine, it tells me access denied
> and requests a password for $IPX  ??? None of the other machines even blink when
> requesting files from it.. I have looked thru the smb.conf file and all looks good. The
> setup appears to be exactly the way I set up the other machines.. But I cant get
> the files.. I can telnet into the box fine, I can access the Internet fine, I can retrieve
> HTML documents that reside on this box from a browser fine, I just cant access the
> shared directories on it... What dumb mistake did I make?

A pretty common mistake.  It has to do with one of a few things...

It could be a bad guest accound definition on the samba server.  Since you
can get in from other machines, I'll assume that's not it...

It could be that you're logged into the windows machine with a username that
doesn't exist on the samba server.  That's similar to the bad "guest account"
setting, but is also probalby not the problem...

It could be that your new computer (whose OS was not mentioned, so I'll
assume win 9x) does not like plain text passwords, but your server does.

In the third case, you can check your registry for
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ System\ CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP
In there, there can be a value called EnablePlainTextPassword with a DWORD of 1
to allow plain text communication.  Alternativey, you can enable encrypted
passwords on the samba box.  Just add an "encrypt passwords = Yes" to your
global params list in smb.conf, and set the user(s) you log into windows
a password in the smbpasswd file.  You can do that as root with smbpasswd.
(#~> smbpasswd mylogin).

I hope that at least gets you headed in the right direction...

--Danny