Re: Weird Problem

Previously Adam Van Pelt (avp@motion.net):

> All,
>  I've never seen this before. The machine I'm seeing this on never boots
> past the last line here. Anyone have any ideas? All I did was reboot the
> machine, and this is what I got:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
> change_root: old root has d_count=1
> Trying to unmount old root ... okay
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 72k freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> INIT: version 2.77 booting
> INIT: cannot execute "etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
> INIT: ID "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: ID "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: ID "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: ID "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: ID "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: ID "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

Sounds like you've damaged a library, and when the programs
in your inittab try to run, the exit immediately, init sees
that they are starting and stopping like crazy, so it will
quit trying to run the program for 5 minutes in hopes that
something will change.  Otherwise the system would grind
to a halt.

Mark