Re: gnome and w-maker

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 06:28:40PM -0500, Mark Blunier wrote:

> I've finally decided to try gnome and see if it is more
> useful than w-maker alone.  So far, I haven't figured
> out how to get gnome-session to start and have a window
> manager running too.  I dont have gdm running, and other
> than it conflicting with xdm, It didn't seem to do anything.
>
> I can get w-maker to run after gnome starts, but how do I
> do it automatically?  I am starting gnome-sessoni by
> running
> exec gnome-session
> in my .xsession file.

I believe that gnome-session runs either enlightenment or sawmill as
the default wm.  You'll likely want to go into the Control Center
(that's the icon that looks like a toolbox) and pick WindowMaker.

Another possible problem: Some of the stuff that the window managers
need to be recognized by GNOME is in separate packages on Debian.  Try
"apt-get install wmaker-gnome".

> Also, how long does it take for gnome to start?  It reminds
> me of running nt.  It takes a couple of minutes to load.

It's pretty speedy on mine.  At work (a Celeron 366, 64MB RAM, with a
load average over 0.5 at all times), it takes less than 30 seconds to
load.