Re: ATX Case

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 10:46:39PM -0500, Mark Blunier wrote:
> I've outgrown my case, but I'm having trouble finding
> a suitable replacement.  I'm looking for a case that
> will hold 4 hard drives close enough to the middle of
> the case that I can reach the ide ports.  It also needs
> to have 4 full size external drive bays that are close to
> the bottom of the motherboard so that the can reach my
> second ide controller in the one of the pci slots.  This
> seems to be a problem.  All of the cases I've looked at
> that hold several drives and have multiple bays put them
> at the top of the case, and the short Ultra ide cable
> have no chances of reaching them.
>
> Any suggestions?

I really love my SuperPower "Zephyr" case, but it only has 3
3.5" bays (and 4 5.35" bays), so it won't help you unless you
want to drill some new mounting holes for amother drive (or
throw away your floppy drive - those things are worthless
anyway).  I really like the SuperPower cases, however...

I also have an In-Win Q500 full tower.  It's a fairly nice case,
but is a little more expensive.  It's got 4 internal 3.5 on the
bottom (or so) of the case, 1 external and 1 internal at the
top, and 5 external 5.25" bays.  The Q2000 is a version of that
case with redundant 300W power supplies and slightly better air
circulation - but I think it runs around 200 bucks.  You'll
likely need a longer cable too.  I've got a SCSI system in mine...

Evergreat makes a model called the 989 that has the exact drive
capacity you are looking for, but since I've never used their
cases, I don't know how they are.

They're all available from my friendly neighborhood Champaign
Computer (who also does web-based ordering).  Links follow:

http://www.c-computer.com/CatalogIndex.html
http://www.in-win.com/
http://www.evergreat.com.tw/989.htm

--Danny, who buys a lot of stuff from c-computer