atapi tape difficulties

i'm having a problem with a seagate tapestor 20gig atapi tape drive, it
backs up with dump and restores, but it will not work with amanda, which
eliminates the ability to do remote backups of my other servers, i'm running
SuSE 6.4 with the 2.3.99 pre8 kernel.  if anyone has any ideas i'd love to
hear them.  the amanda-users group has walked me through everthing they can
think of and they suggested a linux specific group, so who else would i turn
to but luci

thanks
Bob the Kat