Re: diald

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 05:23:51PM -0500, Alan Wilson wrote:

> I have an older machine that I wanted IP masquerading and diald configured on.
> (RH5.1 2.0.34 kernel).  I got the IP masquerading working.  finally got diald
> to dial.  Problem: diald will not hang up.  I have played with the
> configuration files quite a bit; nothing obvious. My only suspect is the if I
> run ifconfig a couple of time, it appears that ppp0 is receiving a packet
> every 5 seconds or so.  Since I don't think I am causing this to happen, it
> appears that my ISP is sending the packet.  The phone.filter file seemed to
> have some filters which I thought would cause the timers to ignore such
> packets.  (oh, using diald16-o.16.5a-2.i386.rpm; the new one wanted libc.so.6
> which isn't on this computer)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions to make diald work -- that is hang up after a
> reasonable time?

You'll probably need to identify the packet and configure diald to
ignore it.

The best tool for identifying the packet is tcpdump, which should be
on the Red Hat CD.  You'll want to run it with a command line
something like:

tcpdump -ni ppp0

(so you don't pick up Ethernet traffic, and you don't create name
lookup traffic for every packet)

This will tell you the source and destination ports and IP addresses,
and whether the traffic is being initiated or received by you.  Don't
be surprised to find that you're generating the traffic - lots of
protocols, most notably any Microsoft protocols, can be quite chatty.
Also make sure that none of the traffic isn't a security risk and
shouldn't be permanently disabled; you can use other tools (such as
lsof) to determine what process on your system is generating/receiving
the traffic in this case.

Assuming none of the traffic poses a security risk, you'll then need
to tell diald to ignore the traffic.  Pick a suitable place in your
standard.filter file and add lines something like this:

ignore tcp tcp.source=tcp.31337
ignore udp udp.dest=udp.31337

These are just examples.  Put in the port numbers and so on you're
concerned about, and make sure the underlying protocol matches too
(tcp/udp).  Remember that standard.filter is evaluated in a
short-circuit manner, so the order of "ignore" and "accept" statements
counts.