Re: pine using ssl to connect to remote server

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 12:18:28PM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> CJM said:
> > anyone had experience using pine configured to access a remote server via
> > ssl to grab an inbox?
>
> If pine doesn't support that directly, I think there is software that
> will tunnel arbitrary connections over SSL.  (I think it's called
> stunnel or something.)

stunnel wraps the server side to support ssl'd connections (it's what I
use for secure pop3 services, courier IMAP has imaps built in).

You could use fetchmail, which has support for imaps (and pop3s) or
the international mutt - but those aren't pine, are they? :)  There's
a patch available for pine, but I'm having a hard time finding anyplace
that has any more than a README file about it...
	ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/mail/ua/pine/ssl-patch/README

Supposedly there's something on openssl.org too, but the site appears to
be down from my view of the internet right now.

What about using ssh to redirect the local imap/pop port to the remote
machine's imap/pop?  If that's an option, it might be easier than finding
that darned elusive patch... :)

--Danny, who suggests mutt ;)